This is me at age six with Taima, one of the Orca Whales at Sea World Orlando.
I grew up around these animals. One night, after the park had closed, while my father finished up his work, I played catch with a fish and a 14,000 pound whale nicknamed Tilly, the whale now notorious for the incident last year with Dawn Brancheau. I would throw the fish into the main tank; he would let it float to the bottom, swim down and pick it up delicately, rub it against the glass in front of my hands, and toss it back over the wall for me to catch again.
I grew up knowing all their names. I knew how much the trainers loved them; and how they never forgot that they were wild animals.
I knew that no one was allowed to swim with Tilly; not because he was violent, but because he had witnessed two other whales’ violence at a young age and Sea World would not take the risk of finding out if he had been traumatized.
I knew that the morning when they found him with a man on his back, dead, he was swimming around his tank frantically making distress calls. A mentally ill man had climbed into his tank overnight, died of hypothermia, and Tilly didn’t know what to do, other than lift him to air where he wouldn’t drown.
I knew Dawn. And I know that seeing PETA protesting outside Sea World this morning would have broken her heart.
But most of all, I know that an animal the size of an elephant that can give kisses to the cheek of a six year old girl is not a monster.
Staying off Tumblr until the heat from Sea World’s accusers dies down; the misinformation and ignorance tears me apart.
Edit: please, please reblog this. The article from the daily what has come up on my dash too many times to not have a rebuttal.
- laguna-locals-only likes this
- hamingjusamur reblogged this from thelupinprincess
- hello-jjw-fan reblogged this from tilikkum
- hello-jjw-fan likes this
- a-box-o-jills likes this
- nicknie121 reblogged this from cetacean-captivity
- wingtipsmiles reblogged this from thelupinprincess
- dianers626 likes this
- emily1010101 reblogged this from we-all-go-mad-in-the-end
- we-all-go-mad-in-the-end reblogged this from lostfearfate
- death-to-angels reblogged this from thelupinprincess
- ilovestuff3 likes this
- zombie-schoolgirl likes this
- thelupinprincess reblogged this from bondedwiththesea
- kkveder likes this
- orcagirl3895 reblogged this from tilikkum
- dawnpatrol-dingo reblogged this from believebeluga
- justanordinarydreamer likes this
- pasuteru-usagi likes this
- crazylogic likes this
- cynthiarazor reblogged this from nonstopmadness
- catrinrobbers reblogged this from innuendo-outuendo
- catrinrobbers likes this
- coldandiamshamed likes this
- earthtochristina likes this
- khrishadewalt likes this
- justgotkilled likes this
- whatahappygail likes this
- shadziiwolf reblogged this from thepictureofsophisticatedgrace
- dani1218 reblogged this from kanyaywest
- nonstopmadness reblogged this from xxcrossarrowxx
- dolphin-swimmer reblogged this from lostfearfate
- caybeach likes this
- innuendo-outuendo reblogged this from meaghanjaynetiggular
- tackythor likes this
- iputaspellonyouandnowyourmine reblogged this from making-a-connection
- meaghanjaynetiggular reblogged this from completelyfrozen
- nniffer likes this
- little-stygian-soldier reblogged this from thepictureofsophisticatedgrace
- eponine-in-the-rain reblogged this from completelyfrozen
- completelyfrozen reblogged this from thepictureofsophisticatedgrace
- thepictureofsophisticatedgrace reblogged this from xxcrossarrowxx
- thepictureofsophisticatedgrace likes this
- sabielisa reblogged this from xxcrossarrowxx
- alexander22rab reblogged this from making-a-connection
- alexander22rab likes this
- xxcrossarrowxx reblogged this from lostfearfate
- xxcrossarrowxx likes this
- in-my-paper-mind likes this
- artofcraving reblogged this from tilikkum